Thursday 23 July 2020

Diabetes burnout : are you facing it ??

 Hi, today we are going to discuss about Are you really tired of being diabetic??


 I realized that that's what I need to talk about. It's when you're just tired of being diabetic. When you're just sick and tired of stupid diabetes and because there's nothing I hate more than the fact that I'm a diabetic. It drives me mad and I know I'm not the only one who feels that way. When you get sick I started making a list. I just had to just stop typing things because it was going on forever. Anything- from I'm tired checking your blood sugar if you're tired dealing with the pharmacy, dealing with insurance. That's all I'm gonna say is that I'm tired of dealing with insurance. Changing your pump site or when the pump site fails and you have these stubborn highs you realize stupid pump sites failed. Of course, you're not home when it happens. You know having the kitchen look like a poltergeist was there the night before because you go down the next morning and every single cabinet is open because I've destroyed the kitchen the night before with low blood sugar. 



Then, feeling like death after a night of dealing with bad blood sugar and it's after lunch before you feeling halfway normal again. I'm tired of dealing with stubborn highs. When it seems like you could give yourself a hundred and fifty units of insulin it wouldn't bring your blood sugar down and it's maddening. Low blood sugars. I've never had a low blood sugar happen at a convenient time. You put a package of Oreos right here, I'll never go low ever.You put me on an airplane, I'm gonna go low and it's because you know stress and anxiety and adrenaline impact your blood sugar. So, of course, it happens at inconvenient times. Then it makes it just makes me so mad dealing with it all the time but if you're somebody who's tired of counting carbs, you're tired of planning meals, trying to eat a certain way.  If you're tired of visiting the endocrinologist. I don't know what yours is like but a lot of times its long wait times. They're booked out forever. 

You know you've got a ton of questions but there's not a lot of time because a lot of diabetics out there.

There are a million things to hate about diabetes and that daily grind to take care of yourself and I get sick of it. I know other people have got to get sick of it. Where you just you know I'll be sitting at this desk-this is an L shape and the right side is my personal but on the left side is full of diabetes crud. I use an insulin pump and a continuous glucose monitor. The drawers are just full of the supplies.  So many days I just want to wipe it all off the desk. There's nothing you can do. That list of things goes on I'm not the only person who deals with that. It's that daily grind that sometimes it'll just get you down. It wears on you and even if you're performing perfectly your blood Sugar's are perfect- it's a full-time job to be a type one diabetic. A lot of people don't realize that.Try to imagine what that job would pay if that was your job was to manage someone else's diabetes. It's 24 hours a day. You're checking the blood sugar. You're counting their carbs. You're there when they're going low. You're there when they're going high. You're up in the middle of the night with them. And that's something you'll carry every single day. The majority of the people around you have no idea that multiple times a minute, you're thinking about your blood sugar. 



Am I going high? Am I going low?  Am I going too high? Am I out of control? Or what if we go here? Do I have enough sugar or glucose tablets or candies to last me if I go low? If I get on this airplane, what I don't have anything on me if my blood sugar goes low? Am I gonna be able to get a hold of what I need on this flight? So I'm aware as much as anyone how frustrating it is to be a diabetic sometimes. Now that I've said all that, I've kind of summed up a lot of the comments and messages I've received and things I've heard people say in the past, I get it. But you have to win. You can't lose that battle. When I got my blood sugar's under control, which I use that term loosely, but when I got better control of my blood sugar- It impacted every part of my life. The way I slept, the way I physically looked, the way my relationships were structured, the way my career was affected by it, and that's frustrating cuz that makes you realize that diabetes when not controlled is affecting every part of your life. So you can't lose. I work in sales and I deal with sales guys a lot and you'll hear times where you know customers are rude or a client is rude to them or talks to them in a way they don't appreciate and you'll hear sales guys tell stories- or I said guys, salespeople, women too- will get frustrated and say, "You know what? I'm not taking that. They're not gonna talk to me like that."  Then I have to remind them that you've lost. The only way you win is if they purchase whatever it is you're trying to sell them. If you haven't built enough value in it, for them to look at it and purchase it- then you lose. Because guess what?  That' show you get paid and that's how diabetes is. If you get frustrated and get too proud and you know "I don't have to deal with this, I'm sick of it. It's stupid. I don't deserve this. It's unfair." It wins- because it'll jack up every part of your life and so today I want to talk briefly about what you do when you get to that point. When you're just ill. When you're just tired of it because you got to vent that somehow or else you'll end up like me. You know for six months I do great. Six months I do terrible. A year I do great. A year I do terrible. I got this fluctuating every part of my life fluctuating. 



From my weight, my mood, everything up and down up and down, I was swinging 30- 40 pounds. So what do you do? One thing I'll say is getting on the message boards and the Facebook groups and things like that. I never really commented much but I was always there lurking and it was and it's an especially since doing the first video. It's super encouraging to get on there and see other people saying the stuff that I'm thinking. You know they're so mad at insurance or they had a terrible night and they ate everything in the kitchen. I'm like yeah, I'm not the only one. I guess the answer is community. You don't necessarily have to interact with anybody. Just get on those boards once a day. Get on there and look at them. Join the Facebook groups, the support groups, and see what people are going through, and it kind of makes you realize you're not the only one dealing with it. Then change up what you' redoing. You've got to set different goals too. You can't improve what you don't measure. If you're not measuring anything, then how can you do better? So whether that's checking your blood sugar you know by hand or you've got a continuous glucose monitor. That's step one. You've got to know what your blood sugar is. Start with the simplest things and then give yourself a chance to be successful. And by that, I'm talking about what you're eating. And I am like I'm a foodie. I love to eat. So I'm not here to tell you I'm awesome at it but you've got to give yourself a chance by trying to eat healthier. When you don't take care of your diabetes, you are empowering that diabetes to just take over your life. It can sabotage your life at any moment because you've turned over all the power. Your diabetes will bust in the room like Kramer on Seinfeld because you don't manage. You're not paying attention and boom you have alow blood sugar at a terrible time. And it will do it and you guys know it just as well as I do, there's no convenient time for low blood sugar.  You know you guys didn't supply me with a list of these complaints. These are my complaints and I know they match up with a lot of yours. But if you're a type 1 diabetic or you have a son or daughter or wife that's a diabetic-you have to win. So if you feel any of those things, those frustrations. If you deal with those and get discouraged and get mad and are frustrated at the fact that you're a diabetic and you don't feel like you deserve it- Share it with somebody else who'll benefit cuz you're not the only one that feels that way. If you have something you'd like me to cover or talk about, leave it in the comments. I look forward to covering it and you can expect an article next week and in the meantime, Be sure to check out our other articles!



You can also follow us on Instagram-------------------



You can also join our quora space as a contributor using the link is given -----------------------------------------



You can also follow me on quora. Here I keep answering all your questions.

https://www.quora.com/Diabetes-Experiences  

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any doubt, feel free to comment.

Must read

15 Common Mistakes Everyone Makes In Managing Diabetes.

Hi I am back once again. As we have already discussed in last article what basically diabetes is so today we will discuss how to manage i...